Monday, July 2, 2012

IVF Process - April 19, 2012

It's been about a week since the last post.  Nothing has changed very drastically, but I do want to give you an update. 

The week or so between our appointment last week where I got my first shot and my surgery this week was pretty uneventful.  I say that in the most literal way possible.  I assume it was a results of the hormone changes the shot is putting my body through, but all I did all weekend was sleep or lay and rest.  Bob did an awesome job taking care of me.  I'm sure if I had things I needed to accomplish, I would have been able to get them done, but since nothing major was happening, I laid pretty low and let myself rest.  I did get up for a few hours on Saturday to meet some friends for dinner, but then came home and went right to bed.  Sunday I went to my nephews soccer games then we met my parents for dinner.  And then, back to bed.  Monday was a pretty long day at work.  A handful of my coworkers know what's going on, but for the most part, I found myself dodging questions about why I would be taking two days off in the middle of the week...oh well.

I didn't sleep well Monday night because I was nervous about Tuesday.  I had to take medicine to prep on Monday night, and the nurse warned me that it typically causes extreme pain.  Well, when it didn't cause pain, I started worrying that maybe that meant I hadn't followed the instructions right and the medicine wasn't doing what it needed to do.  The worry went away pretty quick after I took my pain killer prescriptions, though.

Tuesday, we had to drive up to Rochester Hills, Michigan, to go to our Fertility Doctor's main office.  When we pulled in the parking lot, Bob got a huge cheesy smile on his face and said, "This is where I'm gonna knock you up, baby."  Only Bob.  So blunt, but exactly the laugh I needed at that moment.  Our presurgery nurse was awesome.  She was patient trying to find my hidden veins, told me exactly what to expect, tried to get to know us a little, and really made sure I was comfortable. 

The surgery lasted about 45 minutes or so.  They did end up finding and removing two polyps from my uterus.  (They were later sent to a lab for testing, and were cleared)  If they hadn't been detected, they most likely would have prevented an embryo from attaching.  And, by removing them, it's our understanding that it has refreshed the uterine lining so the embryos will have a better chance of attaching.  Everything else in the surgery went as planned.  Oh, except, the staff there doesn't know me well enough to know that I break out in hives/rash all the time, so when that happened while I was under, they gave me some benedryl...which caused me to want to sleep for basically 2 days. 

After the surgery, I was the last patient for the day, so we got to share some birthday cake with their staff - it was one of the nurses birthday.  Then, on the way out, Bob took me on a detour so he could show me the room where he...makes his contribution.  The nurse asked if we were looking for a bathroom and got a nice chuckle of her own when Bob told her "Nope, I just want her to see where I make my magic happen."  Again, only Bob.

I spent the day on Wednesday recovering at Amy's so that Bob could get some work done in Perrysburg.  It was nice laying around somewhere other than our house for awhile, and I enjoyed the girl time with her and Meghan.

We got our first shipment of shots in the mail today.  All the way from Great Britain.  Now we're waiting on the other shots to come from Canada and we will officially be ready to start.
This weekend I have my sisters baby shower!!!  I'm really looking forward to focusing on something else for awhile.  And really looking forward to celebrating the baby and my sister!  Can't wait for him (or her!) to be here in June.  (Update - my perfect nephew arrived on June 28.)

Monday is my baseline ultrasound and bloodwork and then I start my shots every day on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment