Wednesday, February 1, 2012

going public

Today, it happens.  I send an email out to our family and friends and give them the link to our blog.  They will (hopefully) visit and find out that Bob and I are dealing with infertility, and getting closer and closer to trying IVF. Instead of including a long message in the email, I am writing it here.

Some of you are not going to be surprised by anything you read here.  You've known since the first day we found out. 

Some of you know, but may be surprised by what I say here, becauase I filter my thoughts around you.

And, some of you may just be surprised becuase you had no idea. 

To those that already knew, thank you for what you've done to help and support Bob and me over the past year.  To those that are surprised by my thoughts, welcome to my life.  I made a promise to myself in starting this that this blog is for me first.  Writing has always been a way for me to feel better.  I'm doing this so I can understand myself better.  If reading it helps you understand me better too, then that's awesome.  If anything I have said or will say in the future offends you, then I hope we can move past it.  But I will not apoligize, because this is for me.

To those that are just now finding out, I'm sorry we didn't tell you sooner.  It's not always an easy topic to bring up, and I have found out first hand that when someone asks how you are or when kids are coming, they don't expect an answer as heavy as infertility and IVF.  Sometimes, it's easier to just have normal conversations without it coming up.  It's easier to avoid the subject.  Someone told me that's because I'm not angry enough yet. I think people are afraid to talk about it.  It's not usually breakroom conversation, not a uplifting topic for a holiday family dinner, and a lot of times it makes other people in the room uncomfortable, which then makes me uncomfortable.  Just know this - you didn't not know because we didn't want you to.  Well, now you know.

This doesn't define who we are, but it is a huge part of our journey.  We want you to be a part of it with us.  It's not a secret.  You can talk about it with us.  Or, you can read this and never even tell me that you know.   

Like I said, this is for me.  It's letter after letter to myself.  It's my diary.  It's our story.  But I'll let you read it, if you want to.

10 comments:

  1. you can talk to me any time you need to, i can't begin to understand how you feel or what you will be going thru but i support you 100% and will listen if you need to vent cry scream or just talk. can't wait to buy that little baby lots of goodies one day!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your story, Missy. Thanks for sharing it with the people who love you the most. I only disagree with one thing. Somehow the way you and Bob deal with this...it IS uplifting! Even around the holiday family dinner table. I am proud of my little sister and her hubby. And I can't wait for the incredible outcome of all of this! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff: All I can say is: "You.ve said it all!" Mis is blessed to have you for her brother! God Love You! "Mom" K.

      Delete
    2. Jeff...thanks. That's pretty much all I can say. I love you too.

      Amy...love you!

      Delete
  3. Dear Melissa and Bob, too.

    Your Dad mentioned your problem with me this past Sunday. And now I am so very happy that you have forwarded me your blog and shared your thoughts and feelings with me. Keep your love strong and your faith in God stronger. He works in very mysterious ways and I know in my heart that your prayers (and mine for you) will be answered.

    Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uncle Bob,
      Thank you for the info you shared with my dad. I truly apprecaite it. And, thank you for your support. Your words were one of the first I read this monring, and I thought about them often today. We appreciate your thoughts. Love you guys.

      Delete
  4. Our Dear, sweet Melissa: When you and Bob got married, I felt God had truly blessed me too. I have another daughter! She is very special,kind,considerate, delightful, beautiful and smart! She loves MY son and my son loves her. She is one very, gutsy lady! This took a lot of "guts", Mis (my first thought when I began to read the blog). I can't begin to tell you how very proud I am of you and how very much I want to reach out and hug you right now! BOTH of your families love you guys so much. You and Bob have support +. Think of it as "building your own rainbow": step by step, storm by storm, color by color. And never loose sight of what's at the end of every rainbow! I Love You! MOM K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom K - I am so lucky to have joined the Kimball family! Bob and I apprecaite your support today, and always. Love you!

      Delete